Varam arisi adai (plain rice dosa)

There are mixed adais and there are varum arisi adais..then there is the variety your mum makes which falls in no category except yummy .. 

Varam arisi Adai (literally translated as plain rice Adai) has always been my favorite and in that I always..always loved the batter my mom prepared. However I tried it didn't reach that consistency or taste. 

Then voila in one of my umpteen phone calls amma reminded me of the grinder I had put in sleeping mode purely due to my laziness to use it. I was cribbing about the dosa batter which I picked up from my nearby shop and she said.. do you remember I got you an ULtra for marriage😂😋. She said soak the rice and dal separately. First grind the rice , take out little for varum arisi then put in the udit dal and finish ur batter for dosa .. 

And just like that I got varum arisi Adai for breakfast .. Add grated coconut separately or can add a little by giving it one spin in the mixer. 

The adai can be made in two ways thick by patting a big batch of batter on the tava directly. The second way of making it by adding water and making a thin batter similar to poha dosa. 
Ingredients
Boiled rice (puzhungal arisi) - Half kg
Salt to taste
Coconut - 1/2 cup

Method
1) Soak the rice overnight. 
2) Next morning add salt and grind it. Make a smooth batter but by adding as less water as possible. 
3) Add coconut either after making the batter or along with the rice while grinding if making a separate batter. 
4) One way to make the adai tattal (pat ) on the tava the batter has to be thick.  Keep a bowl on water and use this to pat the thick batter on the tava. 
5) Second way of making the dosa you can also make the batter like aval dosa batter meaning watery and pour in the dosa from the sides
6) Add oil to crisp the dosa. Can be served with a variety of choices.. Butter, vepalakatti, mahani, curd. 

Note
Boiled rice or red boiled rice variety can be used for this adai

Comments