Chenai chakkakotai mezhkkuvaratti / Yam Jackfruit seeds stir fry

A simple stir fry which I had been yearning to try everytime i ate what my mom made. It took me many years before I finally got to making it and I thought it's so simple..1 2 3 and yet it took me so much time. You don't take so much time to try.

Simple recipe is as below with minimal ingredients. In footnote I'll mention what all veggies you can add to this further.

Ingredients
Chenai/Yam/Suran - 1 cup
Chakkakotai/ Jackfruit seeds - 1cup
Tumeric powder 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Green chillies -1

Method
1) Cut the yam into small cubes*. Remove the white covering and lightly smash the seeds.
2) Put both together in a vessel , add salt and tumeric powder and very little water. Keep in pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles. The vegetables should not be mushy or else you won't get a crispy stir fry.
3) In a pan or tava add coconut oil, green chilli and the cooked veggies. Stir fry this till crisp.
The flavour is from oil and veggies. No spices are needed for this. The chilly is also optional.
4) Enjoy with hot ghee rice or sambar rice or as it is..it's delicious even as a starter.

Footnote.
* Cut the yam in cubes. I made rough pieces but thats not how it's supposed to be ,  I  learnt later from mom
* You can add veggies like raw banana(kacha kela / vazhakai), chinese potato (arbi / koorkai), green long beans(lobia ki phalli/ payar)



Comments